Manley O. Hudson Professor, Harvard Law School
David Kennedy is Manley O. Hudson Professor of Law and Director of the Institute for Global Law and Policy at Harvard Law School. He teaches international law, international economic policy, legal theory, law and development and European law. He joined the Harvard Law faculty in 1981 and holds a Ph.D. from the Fletcher School and a J.D. from Harvard. His research uses interdisciplinary materials from sociology and social theory, economics and history to explore issues of global governance, development policy and the nature of professional expertise. He has been particularly committed to developing new voices and perspectives on international affair.
As a practicing lawyer and consultant, Professor Kennedy has worked on numerous international projects, both commercial and public, including work with PricewaterhouseCoopers with their emerging markets and anti-corruption practice, with the United Nations, the Commission of the European Union, various national governments and with the private firm of Clearly, Gottlieb, Steen and Hamilton in Brussels, where his work combined European antitrust litigation, government relations advising and general corporate law. A member of the Council on Foreign Relations, he is past Chair of the World Economic Forum’s Global Advisory Council on Global Governance. In 2011 he was appointed Foreign Advisor to Thailand’s Truth for Reconciliation Commission.
• Manley O. Hudson Professor of Law, 2011
• Director, Institute for Global Law and Policy, 2009
• University Professor of Law, Brown University, 2008-2009
• Manley O. Hudson Visiting Professor of Law, 2008-2009
• Manley O. Hudson Professor of Law, 2003-2008
• Henry L. Shattuck Professor of Law, 1994-2003
• Director, International and Graduate Legal Studies, 1991-1997
• Director, European Law Research Center, 1991-2009
• Professor of Law, 1986-1994
• Assistant Professor of Law, 1983-1986
• John Harvey Gregory Lecturer on World Organization, 1981-1983
Ph.D., Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University
J.D., Harvard University