University of Missouri-Kansas City
Department of Economics
211 Haag Hall
5120 Rockhill Road
Kansas City, MO 64110
Chief of the Policy Analysis and Development Branch, United Nations
Senior Scholar,Levy Economics Institute of Bard College
Jan Kregel is a Senior Scholar at the Levy Economics Institute of Bard College and Director of the Institute’s Monetary Policy and Financial Structure program. He holds the position of professor of development finance at Tallinn University of Technology. In 2009, Kregel served as Rapporteur of the President of the UN General Assembly’s Commission on Reform of the International Financial System. He previously directed the Policy Analysis and Development Branch of the UN Financing for Development Office and was Deputy Secretary of the UN Committee of Experts on International Cooperation in Tax Matters. Kregel studied under Joan Robinson and Nicholas Kaldor at the University of Cambridge, and received his Ph.D. from Rutgers University under the chairmanship of Paul Davidson.
• High Level Expert in International Finance and Macroeconomics, New York Liaison Office of the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development
• Director, Policy Analysis and Development Branch, UN Financing for Development Office
• Deputy Secretary, UN Committee of Experts on International Cooperation in Tax Matters
• Professor of Economics, Faculty of Political Science, Università degli Studi di Bologna, 1990-2002
• Visiting Senior Scholar, Jerome Levy Economics Institute of Bard College, 1997-2002
• Adjunct Professor of International Economics, Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies, Bologna Center, 1990-1998
• Senior Economic Affairs Officer, UNCTAD, Global Interdependence Division, Geneva, 1994-1996
Ph.D., Economics, Rutgers University, 1970
B.A., English Composition, Economics, Beloit College, 1966
Jan Kregel. International Finance and Development (with J. A. Ocampo and S. Griffith-Jones), 2006.
Jan Kregel. The Past and Future of Banks, Ente Einaudi: Roma, 1997.
Jan Kregel. Market Shock: An Agenda for Economic and Social Reconstruction of Central and Eastern Europe. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1992 (with others)
Jan Kregel. The Theory of Capital, London: Macmillan, 1976 (translated in Italian, Greek and Turkish).Origini e sviluppi dei mercati finanziari, Arezzo: Banca popolare dell”Etruria e del Lazio / studi ericerche, 1996.